Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Garam Masala

Garam masala is a spice blend that is very commonly used in Indian cooking. Which I'm very fond of, and can't often eat at restaurants because of my severe dairy intolerance. (Ghee practically is its own food group, as it should be, cause it's delicious, but even clarified butter is still butter.)

While you can buy garam masala at the grocery store, it's also the sort of thing that nice to tweak to your own tastes. So after surveying the options elsewhere on the intertubes, this is the combo I tried for my first pass at making my personal blend.

Garam Masala Take 1

In a skillet over medium heat:

2 tbsp cardamom
2 tbsp peppercorns
2 tbsp cloves
1 tbsp fennel seeds
3 small star anise
2" cinnamon stick (broken up a bit)
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp mustard seeds

Toast until they start to pop and smell amazing. Pour into spice grinder with 2 bay leaves, grind well. Pour into jar along with 2 tbsp coriander (I have ground, but not whole atm, use what I've got!)


No comments: