Friday, July 18, 2014

Dear sweater..

Dear orange lacy sweater,

I know we haven't had the best of relationships over the years. You were supposed to be a quick fling, and it's turned into a ploddy dragging long term thing that neither of us are enjoying. The trick of having wildly disproportionate sleeves only at the largest size.. not really cool, and I know my short waistedness mixed with my love of shorter sweaters caused us some problems. 

It was a cruel taunt when I had you all finished, bound off, washed and blocked and then realized that something was horribly horribly wrong.

I'd carefully paid attention to the rate of decrease in your raglan shaping for the fronts and sleeves, blithely assuming that the back would take care of itself. It hadn't. The back was about half again as wide as it needed to be, and while there's a time and place for an off the shoulder boat neck look, a lacy raglan cardigan is neither time nor place.

There was a moment, it wasn't a good moment, where you almost ended up in the back of the closet that we just don't talk about. That moment may have lasted a while where I covered you up with a towel on the floor where you'd been drying and pretended that somehow ignoring you would make things fit. (Pro Tip: It didn't.)

You have to understand, I hate finishing. I hate working button bands, I hate sewing seams. The idea of ripping out that hard won button band out and starting again almost undid the resolve.

I am pleased (and vaguely dreading) that you are back on the needles, sleeves and fronts holding steady while we quickly grab over 30 stitches out of the back. 

Please work out this time? It'd be best for both of us if we could put this to bed.

Much love,
Me.

PS: I am, with every stitch, so profoundly sorry about the yarn. I really am. We'll get through this together. You're a fabulous colour, we'll just cope with the embroidery floss level of splitting going on here. 

No comments: