Friday, June 6, 2014

Tomato Apple Chutney review



I am a fairly prolific canner (and really bad about turning it into a profitable hobby, I keep getting worried about the legalities of selling food), but rarely do I actually sit down and remind myself of what worked and what didn't. So I'm going to try adding /that/ to this rambling collection of posts and prove myself to have the focus of SQUIRREL!

Anyhow, I don't remember where I got this recipe from, apparently I didnt immortalize it in the blog. My guess is out of the magic Bernardin book which I did most of my canning out of last year. If you can't read the label on the lid, it's Tomato Apple Chutney.

And it's pretty sad. It's sweet and not much beyond sweet, a touch of vinegar sour, and nothing else of interest. Mixed with fairly flavourful sausage, it's a nice sweet touch, but I'm on the hunt for how to fix it rather than looking forward to having many more jars of it. I'm thinking of using it in cake (my favourite way to use up weird sweet stuff I don't know how to hide.. quick bread!).

I'll probably do other reviews of my various canning things, if for no other reason than to remind myself what I shouldn't do again next year.

No comments: