Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Faery fest and spinning

It was a lovely, if warm by the end, day at Faery Fest. Rumour has it that it's the last one, but we'll see how that shakes out over the next year. A work colleague took a picture of me spinning, and I continue to rock the utterly not photogenic side of my world. I was plying the turquoise random wool at the time, you can see the Andean plying bracelet on my wrist.



As part of the demo, I always have a spindle along with me so that I can show the similarities and differences between wheel and spindle. I had my never ending silk, but I also brought along a spindle and soy silk to give it a go. I mean, how hard could it be? I'm an experienced spindle spinner!

Yeah. Right. Soy silk and I didn't get along at all. It manages to be sticky and slippy all at the same time, and wants to undertwist and snap and run off on its own little way and bah. I am very grateful to have brought the silk, as there's only so many times you want to do the drop and swear thing in front of people you're pretending to be an expert to.

I did a bit of reading up about soy silk (nothing like research after the fact) and tried a bit of spinning from the fold and spinning a bit thicker than my norm. Apparently we have come to some sort of tentative truce, although it also seems to require that I spin standing up. I didn't even ask on that one.


No comments: