Tuesday, May 27, 2014

ALL THE THINGS

I have only been to two events (at the time of writing this), and both of them have been strongly A&S (handwork of all kinds, basically everything but the fighting) focused. This has been both a blessing and a curse. I walked away from Kingdom A&S full of relief in having not made too much of a fool of myself at my first event, having found people to chat with (old friends and new!), in absolute awe at the sheer volume of talent contained in one room, a little gobsmacked at being considered well versed in lace (In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king, I suppose. I'm a drooling idiot in the VERY well versed and academic mundane lace world I hang out with, but amongst people who aren't current lacemakers, apparently I know more than I think.)

The biggest thing I walked away from my first event with was a desire to Do All The Things. I wanted to research more lace, and make more lace, and do embroidery, and do blackwork, and make sausage, and spin and knit and research more about historical knitting and make better garb and become an Expert, RIGHT NOW.

The reality of cramming one's brain full of .. well.. everything, and working full time, and not having a household fall into filth, and sleeping soon slapped me upside the head. I did manage to channel the obsession into one direction after seeing a lovely hankie, Blackwork.

So I hunted up a period inspired pattern that made me happy, and made myself a pincushion. Details are 22 count hardanger fabric, random dark brown floss (used single strand), everything's cotton and hand stitched.

One side:

The other side:

Not half bad for a random spur of the moment obsession project.

No comments: