Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Fruitcake

I know, I know, the world has a hate on for fruitcake. They call it hard and dry and building material and lives forever.

And I love it. Dark and rich and delicious, even a year later when it's a touch dry. (Yes, I'm nibbling the last of last year's, and it's gotten a touch dry. I need to work out a better storage.)

I make my own fruitcake, mostly because I'm allergic to dairy and most are made with butter. Although part of it also comes from the fact that I rather adore baking, so of course I make my own. My favourite recipe comes from a little booklet put out by the candied fruit company and I think the booklet is about a bazillion years old.

I have adjusted and adapted it and this is now my recipe, mostly here for posterity sake such that I remember how I changed it this year.

Dark Fruitcake 2012

125g chopped pecans
125g slivered almonds
450g Deluxe mixed glace
450g mixed candied cherries
225g candied pineapple chunks
300g mixed citrus peel
150g currants
80g crystallized ginger, finely chopped
225g golden raisins
225g dark raisins
225g chopped dates

Toss in a huge bowl, mixed well and soak with white rum for a while.

2c flour
1/3c cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp allspice
nutmeg, mace, cloves all to look right

Add to the fruit and mix until well coated.

In the mixer bowl, cream together:

1 cup shortening
1 1/3c dark brown sugar, firmly packed

Add:
6 eggs, one at a time
1/2 c molasses
2 tbsp oil
1/4 c booze (bourbon this year)



Blend well and then fold the liquid into the fruit mixture and mix well. Spoon into greased pans. Bake at 275F for about 2 hours. Makes 2 8"x8" pans and 3 small loaf pans.

No comments: