Friday, December 24, 2010

Dairy free Eggnog

As I start to explore all the ways to go dairy free (at least on a trial basis for now), and on Christmas Eve, there is no soy nog to be found in the stores. It's been sparse on the ground this year, at least anytime I've gone looking. So, I made my own. Easy peasy, and not half bad. It's not vegan (I'm not vegan at all), just dairy free.

Soy Nog

3 eggs
2 cups vanilla soy milk
1/2 cup vanilla soy cream (Silk for coffee is what I found)
3/4 cup icing sugar
tiny pinch salt
Nutmeg
Rum (extract if you are booze free as I am, or the good stuff)

I'm lucky enough to have a stand mixer, so I tossed things in there. Eggs first, mixed until they were pale. Then slowly add the sugar, milk, cream and salt. Mix for a while before adding in about a tablespoon of extract (real rum to taste) and a generous dollop of fresh grated nutmug. Perhaps a couple of teaspoons, but I'm bad at judging. Mix well and store in the fridge. Yes, this uses raw eggs. You have an immune system, make it work. (if you don't, then be careful) I expect it'll be even better tomorrow, if it lasts that long.

If you dont have vanilla soy milk and/or cream, then add a dollop of vanilla extract to touch up the flavour.

Enjoy!

No comments: